Follow

Becoming Star Lord – Building the Mask

I’m really late to the boat on posting this… But here goes nothing.

My original plans for a Halloween costume fell through, so I needed to whip something up face. But, I can never do anything simply. I decided I was going to be Star Lord from the recent Guardians of the Galaxy film.

For this mask I followed this amazing build pretty closely. Instead of using cardboard I decided to use some of the left over foam from my Winter Solider Arm.

I used the template that the video provided which can be found here.

All of the pieces cut out and ready to begin assembly.

I took all the pieces and began to glue them together with my trusty hot glue gun. I had told no one what my costume was going to be at this point. The following picture was sent to a friend. He surprised me and guessed my costume on the first try.

With the mask fully constructed I began the long job of coating the mask in multiple layers of white glue mixed with water. During this I rewatched the Fellowship of the Ring.

THE REAL FUN BEGINS: It’s time to spray paint!

After the mask dried I had started to run low on time. I brought out a bunch of acrylic paint that I had lying around and began to do a quick paint job. The picture to the left was my main reference. I couldn’t find a yellow that I really liked, so I ended up having to mix some of my yellow bronze and black paint until I got something close enough that I liked. Due to my lack of time I had to forgo some of the detailing.

The hardest part of this build was to find something to use for the lenses. My two original ideas were to find a pair of red sunglasses or to find red flower wrap (used at florists). Neither options were available. I took a break to go pick up some groceries and to my surprise found a plastic candle holder the exact shade that I wanted.

Once the detailing was done I mixed 1 part black acrylic paint to three parts water and sponged the mask, then quickly wiped it off with paper towel. This aged the paint and gave it a more metal feel. I had to be extra careful on the yellow acrylic to make sure it didn’t turn blotchy because of the black paint.

Over the course of two days the mask took me around 7 hours to complete. I would be interested in revisiting the pattern when I have more time to make a more detailed version, but for the time that I put into it I think it turned out really well.

The jacket was my next priority. I spent an evening going to local thrift shops until I found something I was happy with. I really wanted to get a longer jacket, but I couldn’t find any in the right colour. The one I settled on was this one:

A great find… and only $12. Excuse the blurry phone picture.

For the costume I wore a plain blue tank top and jeans. Funny enough my usual doc martins were the same colour as the Star Lord jacket so I added those to the mix.

I love these boots, I wear them everyday.

To finish the costume I dug out my old sony tape deck and a pair of headphones (the original ones were long since broken). The final project looked as follows:

James was a Lego Brick. It was brilliant.

Written by
Alexandra is always looking for the next book she can devour. She has a love hate relationship with teen fiction specifically when it comes to fantasy, post apocalyptic and failed shakespeare adaptations.

Have your say!

0 0

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.