A Court of Mist and Fury is one of those books for me where you just love it heart and soul. Creating this one true soundtrack was difficult because I was just planning on making it 10 songs and then 100 songs later it’s like… maybe I should pare this down a bit. So the challenge was 10 and I included a bonus. Bad girl. Baaad girl.
When you’re creating soundtracks there are moments in the book that stick out to you and you can’t help but focus on. In A Court of Mist and Fury for me it was Feyre kicking Tamlin to the curb, the trauma the Court of Dreams is working through, and Feyre and Rhys coming to terms with who they are and what they mean to each other. So without ado, here is my OTS.
- Turning Tables – Adele ~ I love this song. In addition to being absolutely beautiful (what else do you expect from Adele?) it’s perfect for Feyre and Tamlin at the beginning of ACOMAF. The lyrics speak for themselves.
“Next time I’ll be braver / I’ll be my own savior / Standing on my own two feet”.
“I can’t keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can’t breathe
So, I won’t let you close enough to hurt me,
No, I won’t rescue you to just desert me
I can’t give you the heart you think you gave me
It’s time to say goodbye to turning tables”
- Time – Sarah McLachlan ~ This song is perfect for when Feyre leaves Tamlin for the first week before she goes back. It’s all about needing space and feeling like a second-class citizen in your own relationship. And with it’s etheral lyrics and Sarah’s gorgeous voice it’s perfect.
“You see love– a tight, thorny thread that you spin in a circle of gold
You have me to hold me
a token for all to see
captured to be yours alone”
- Put Your Lights On – Santana ~ With Everlast’s growling voice, Santana’s wicked guitar and the kick ass lyrics calling for all the killers and sinners to watch out for monsters it reminds me of the Court of Dreams and the Court of Nightmares and the looming threat of Hybern. It’s hard to forget that Rhys’s family are considered the monsters under the bed by all the other courts but they are nothing compared to what’s coming.
- If it Kills Me – Jason Mraz ~ Poor Rhys. He has a host of problems in the beginning of the book when it comes to Feyre. He’s her Mate and he doesn’t even know if she wants him or even think he’s worthy of her.
“Well all I really wanna do is love you
A kind much closer than friends use
But I still can’t say it after all we’ve been through
And all I really want from you is to feel me
As the feeling inside keeps building
And I will find a way to you if it kills me”
- Adia – Sarah McLachlan ~ The entire Court of Dreams crew has a lot of issues and but with the help of each other they just might get through it.
“I take away your pain / and show you all the beauty you possess / if you’d only let yourself believe that / we are born innocent”
- My Boy Builds Coffins – Florence + the Machine ~ This odd little tune reminds me of Rhys. He’s the dark prince to keep his kingdom safe, but it’s a thankless job. Also, Florence on any movie soundtrack automatically makes it bad-ass.
“My boy builds coffins and I think it’s a shame
That when each ones been made, he can’t see it again
He crafts everyone with love and with care
Then its thrown in the ground and it just isn’t fair”
- Dangerous Woman – Arianna Grande ~ Rhys definitely makes Feyre feel like a dangerous woman. He makes us all feel like dangerous women.
- Manhole – Ani DiFranco ~ I’ve always adored this song, but there are a few key lines just fit do damn perfectly. It’s the perfect song for moving on with after a shitty relationship.
“but you can’t fool the queen baby cause I married the king”
“But after my dreaded beheadding and I tied that sucker back on with a string”
- Love Lockdown – Kanye West ~ Tamlin is sad. Tamlin made a mistake. Boo hoo Tamlin.
- Your Ex-Lover is Dead – Stars ~ This is how I imagine Feyre feels about her relationship with Tamlin.
“Live through this, and you won’t look back
There’s one thing I want to say, so I’ll be brave
You were what I wanted
I gave what I gave
I’m not sorry I met you
I’m not sorry it’s over
I’m not sorry there’s nothing to save”
- Ends of the Earth – Lord Huron ~ BONUS!