Once again BEA was awesome. So many books and so many amazing authors I really don’t know how to contain my internal shrieking with joy. I got enough of book utopia that I can now hold out until 2017. But, just because I am as still coming down from my happy-high, let me give you a list of all the things the made BEA 2016 amazing.
- Seeing my favourite books from BEA last year do well this year. Last year I discovered some amazing novels and authors that I previously knew nothing about: Alive by Scott Sigler and Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amy Kaufman. This year the lines for those books were INSANE and I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. Some geniouses are appreciated in their own time.
- Maggie Stiefvater recognized my face. That’s right, I have lined up to have enough of my Maggie Stiefvater books signed that I am now eerily familiar. In the most non-creepy way possible: #lifegoals
- Watching Pierce Brown, Scott Sigler, Justin Cronin and Naomi Novik geek out about writing was absolutely adorable. Listening to writers compare writing methods is like listening cooks compare recipes: no one has the same system and it kind of breaks your brain that there are so many different ways to get the same result. Then all the men found out that Naomi Novik writes Buffy fanfiction and they lost it. I’m sure she has a couple of new followers on her fanfiction account.
- Getting my hands on A Torch Against the Night and Gemina was my priority this year. Holding them in my hand was what I imagine it would be like to hold my first born – only better
- Watching first-timers eyes light up. Two friends of mine who had never attended BEA or Bookcon before attended this year. Watching their minds shatter to smithereens when they realized they could just pick a book off a pile and it was theirs forever was so happy-making. For them it was Christmas morning if Christmas decided to come twice in a row this year and was sponsored by Daddy Warbucks.
BEA 2016 has sadly come to a close, but you know what that means, right? Less than 365 days till BEA 2017! And it will be back in NY next year! I am exhausted, my body hurts, I caught a bad cold, but it was worth it. I am just going to sit here and enjoy my enormous and terrifying pile of books on my TBR pile.