Heads up. This post is going to be full of spoilers for Strange the Dreamer.
If you haven’t read Strange the Dreamer yet, I recommend you go and pick it up because you are seriously missing out.
Title: Muse of Nightmares
Series: Strange the Dreamer
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little Brown Books
Released: October 2nd 2018
Page Count: 528
In the wake of tragedy, neither Lazlo nor Sarai are who they were before. One a god, the other a ghost, they struggle to grasp the new boundaries of their selves as dark-minded Minya holds them hostage, intent on vengeance against Weep.
Lazlo faces an unthinkable choice—save the woman he loves, or everyone else?—while Sarai feels more helpless than ever. But is she? Sometimes, only the direst need can teach us our own depths, and Sarai, the muse of nightmares, has not yet discovered what she’s capable of.
As humans and godspawn reel in the aftermath of the citadel’s near fall, a new foe shatters their fragile hopes, and the mysteries of the Mesarthim are resurrected: Where did the gods come from, and why? What was done with thousands of children born in the citadel nursery? And most important of all, as forgotten doors are opened and new worlds revealed: Must heroes always slay monsters, or is it possible to save them instead?
Love and hate, revenge and redemption, destruction and salvation all clash in this gorgeous sequel to the New York Times bestseller, Strange the Dreamer.
WHY I’M WAITING
The ending of Strange the Dreamer made me feel things. Like a lot of things. The cliffhanger that Laini Taylor left her audience with was perfectly done but very cruel. I need to know what happens next and I’ve needed to know for over a year.
Let’s break it down in a list shall we?
THINGS I NEEDED TO KNOW OVER A YEAR AGO
- Where are the Mesarthim from? Why did they come to Weep? Why did they need to mass produce children? Does this have something to do with the ending of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series? Are they the creatures that the angels are supposed to be fighting?
- Will Lazlo and Sarai find a work around Mimya’s owning Sarai’s soul? Will Lazlo go against his nature and choose to do the right thing and sacrifice Sarai’s soul?
- Will Nero help Lazlo?
- Lazlo and Sarai are doomed aren’t they? Is Laini Taylor going to eviscerate my heart?
- How are the people of Weep reacting to the existence of the Godspawn because I have a feeling it’s not well.
- How is Eril-Fane dealing with the existence of the Godspawn? Will the guilt of his actions drive him to try and save them or will Weep pressure him to be the God Killer again.
When talking about Strange the Dreamer and the Muse of Nightmares at a Book Expo Panel, Laini Taylor explained the inspiration behind the story was the heroes solving a problem without resorting to violence and bloodshed. Will Lazlo and Sarai manage to accomplish that by the end of Nightmares? Or are these characters doomed to continue the cycle that has haunted the people of Weep and the people of the Citadel? We’ll have to wait for Muse of Nightmares to find out.
I’m not going to lie. I expect a bittersweet ending and I’m probably going to cry my eyes out.
Are you excited for Muse of Nightmares? Tell me about it in the comments below.
Happy Wednesday and Happy Reading!
Don’t cry don’t cry don’t cry