With the success of The Hunger Games, it was only a matter of time before other big YA properties found their way to the big screen. Divergent is another dystopian novel. This time we find ourselves in future Chicago. The citizens all live in different factions based off of their most dominant trait. Both Chelsey and I liked the first novel and were interested to see how it would turn out as a film.
TOPICS DISCUSSED BUT NOT LIMITED TOO:
– The pacing was great
– The film didn’t start off with an info dump and let the story grow naturally.
– Tris was great
– Everyone was well cast
– Alexandra had a crush on Four
– Tris and Four’s relationship translated well to screen. It didn’t feel insta-lovey
– The film was visually appealing
– The costuming for each Faction was distinct and cool looking
– Chelsey liked Eric. Alexandra didn’t think he was menacing enough
– Kate Winslet made a solid villain. She had a great moment during the film’s climax
– Didn’t feel like a two and a half hour movie